Saturday, June 11, 2011

Mecca.

 
Legend has it that early in the morning, while this Princess is still dreaming of her latest Navarin D'Agneau Printanier (lamb stew, sub beef) triumph, dutiful observers of the culinary arts begin to descend upon their holy site: Restaurant Depot.   They come from quaint mom and pop establishments and classy catering companies in a myriad of vehicles ranging from small cars to light rigid trucks.  While it is known that they arrive in a constant stream that undulates in trickles and droves throughout the day, the annals are a bit vague on whether or not they fully prostrate themselves in front of the door before they enter.

These culinary pilgrims religiously make the same cuisine-driven Hajj several times per week, called by what few other places can offer: low (very low)-priced, high quality food.  Non-culinarians are prohibited from even looking at the building (ok, slight exaggeration).  Don't even think about entering unless you 1) have a healthy respect for food and the art of cooking (passion, love and dedication to the culinary arts is a plus) 2) Need to buy large (like really big) quantities of food 3) get jollies out of taking an awe-inspiring jaunt through Costco's Costco 4) posses a valid resller's permit/business license or tax-exempt certificate (technically the only enforced requirement, but the other 3 are unspoken rules).  I have heard rumors that Le Cordon Bleu students can shop using their I.D. badge, but until I try it, I will leave that to the category of unsubstantiated juicy gossip.

Recently, my Le Cordon Bleu class was allowed to take a highly-coveted look within the inner sanctum of The Depot in Pasadena.  While the aisles and freezer section are a bit overwhelming for a novice visitor, true appreciation of the store's reputation comes when you look at the price tags.  Let me break it down... If I were to cater a five course meal for 50 people that included a shrimp cocktail appetizer, spring salad, cheese plate, beef main course and dessert, my cost would be somewhere around $550.  However, if I were to purchase the same quality food from Gelson's, I would spend over $1,000 for a paired-down three course version.  Cha-ching!  Are you a convert yet?  I know I am.

While many of you may not possess the necessary credentials to shop at Restaurant Depot, I know that my fellow entrepreneurs will appreciate the cost savings.  As I envision and plan my future catering enterprise, one of my concerns was how I was going to maintain a healthy profit margin.  Food contributes extensively to the cost of goods.  Add in labor, equipment and other overhead and you have very little money to live off of and plant for future growth.  After visiting The Depot and learning about other sects within the food biz (Sysco, McLane, Gordon, etc) I am feeling a bit more confident in my future business' ability to turn a profit.  I know that some seasoned chefs and culinarians are proponents of learning the food industry trade on the job versus in school, but I am grateful for all of the useful learning nuggets Le Cordon Bleu provides.  If nothing else, my education will empower me to feel confident enough in my knowledge to venture out and become a leader in the industry.  Soon, I will be one of the money-spending Restaurant Depot Pilgrims, ready to turn passion into profit.

I will be sure to let you know when I try out my I.D. badge to make a purchase at The Depot.  Anyone who wants to help me practice my profit making skills is highly welcome :-)

Follow your passions, increase your knowledge and stay blessed!

2 comments: