Friday, August 5, 2011

Polenta.


I like it hard. The firmness, warmth and structure feel wonderful in my mouth.  It is an unmatched comfort that I look forward to enjoying on a regular basis.  Some like it soft. I guess it is a personal preference, but they don't know what they are missing. How do you like your polenta?

Whether you have experienced the joys of polenta or not, most of us (especially black folk and particularly soulful others) have had grits. News flash: They are the same thing! Secret: Us culinarians have devised a strategic system to confuse and bewilder customers by calling simple things, like risotto and polenta, by fancy names so that we can charge more money. I may get kicked out of the order for telling you that, but I had to get it off my chest. I couldn't let my TCP friends remain in the dark any longer! However, don't get it twisted. Culinary Princess Catering charges more for polenta than grits. It is the extra love that jacks up the price ;-)

Polenta is coarse ground yellow cornmeal that is cooked in a very similar way to simmered rice.  While grits may be polenta's white cousin (no racial joke intended.  Promise), polenta is usually seen as a more refined dish that is eaten in a variety of ways that extend beyond typical breakfast preparations.  As alluded to earlier, you can eat it soft (5 parts water to 1 part cornmeal) or hard (3 parts water to 1 part cornmeal).  I prefer the hard method because it is so versatile!  After you have cooked it, you can lay it out on a sheet tray, let it cool in the fridge, cut out cool shapes and then fry it to crispy perfection, as seen in the picture above.  You can top polenta with sauces, eat it with cheese or enjoy it plain.  No matter your preference, polenta is a great option for changing up your dinner starches from rice and potatoes. 

To cook polenta, simply add the correct ratio of water or cooking liquid (stock, milk etc) to a sauce pot.  Slowly stir in the cornmeal and keep stirring over medium heat until you have achieved the desired consistency.  Feel free to incorporate other flavoring agents, such as cheese and fresh herbs.  The possibilities or only bound by your imagination!

Expand your cooking horizons, find comfort in new food and be blessed TCP Friends!

2 comments:

  1. That's okay, Aleya... I consider myself to be your white cousin, okay? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fine by me! I can always use a good family member... especially one who can cook :-)

    ReplyDelete