Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 1.

So Excited on my 1st Day at Le Cordon Bleu!
 
Butterflies in my stomach.  Extra deodorant.  Frequent mirror checks.  Leaving an hour early for the 20 minute drive.  Overly broad, nervous smiles...  It must be the first day of school.

Have you ever noticed that no matter how old you get, that "first day of school feeling" never changes?   From elementary through jr. high, high school and college, the first day always brings a potent mixture of excitement and nervousness.  You would think that after having endured all of the classic symptoms before, I would be very mature and adult about the whole thing.  I should be polished, poised and princess-like.  I should walk into the teaching kitchen, hand them my calling card and say, "Hello.  My name is Desné. Aleya Desné.  The Culinary Princess."  All of the other students would look upon me in quiet reverence as I glide effortlessly to my seat.  (Just in case you were wondering, yes, you did just read part of the overly-optimistic dream I had the night before the first day).

My reality was um...different than that.  I proudly tied my chef's cravat (neckerchief) on my first try and had taken 1 1/2 hours the day before to press all of my jackets and accessories.  If something embarrassing was going to happen during the day, at least I was going to go down looking crisp.  I had watched the "What to Expect from Culinary School" video several times for behavior clues and was ready to blend in to the culture.  I had way too many pens and three notebooks for my 2 classes (you know, just in case).  My boyfriend was crazy supportive (as always), but as I walked out of the door, I felt like I was about 7 years old and just wanted my Mommy.

Besides the normal first day jitters, why was I so extremely nervous?  I had a lot riding on this!  I had started talking to all of my The Culinary Princess (TCP) Friends, such as yourself, and proclaiming how much I wanted to be a chef.  I had used my passion formed rhetoric to convince naysayers that not only did I still have all my marbles, but I was going to be the bomb.  What if I didn't like it?  What if the whole experience was horrible?  What if I was stuck in another situation that I hated and had to rely on my work ethic and drive to push through?  What if the people were mean?  What if I really can't cook?  What if the shoes were even worse than the looked?

I so didn't have anything to worry about ::brushes off shoulders::  (Pffhh... I wasn't concerned for a second.)  Not only did I LOVE my first day, but my classmates are extremely nice.  I already feel like I am in a fledgling brigade.  The system is a bit militaristic (Yes Chef!  No Chef!), but the Chef Instructors are supportive.  No disrespect to my Trojan Family, but they seem to be more concerned about my individual success than my USC Professors.  Its like each student has their own culinary entourage.   Every student is different...like for real.  If you want diversity, go to culinary school.  Besides the fact that there are like 6 women in my section of 40 people, we might as well be the next United Colors of Benetton ad (with a few extra Latinos). 

On Day 2, we used the knife kits we received on Day 1 to begin learning precision knife cuts.  The next time you go to a restaurant and see the perfectly cubed potatoes or carrots, please take time to admire them.  Look at them from different angles.  Appreciate their beauty.  Those are HARD to make.  We literally measure each cut with a ruler when we are getting started.  Check out one of the many cuts on YouTube.  Be impressed hehe.

My first week of culinary school will be cut short by a previously planned Sorority trip to Seattle, but I am SO ready for next week.

Be blessed TCP Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment