Friday, May 13, 2011

Orientation.


Le Cordon Bleu (LCB) Orientation was great!  I met some of the Chef Instructors, got my uniform (more later) and introduced myself to some of my classmates, most of which are male.  More importantly, I got called "morgeous" by one of my peers because I was "more than gorgeous."  It really is the little things in life...

Orientation started bright and early at 7:30 AM in the Technique restaurant.  Being the morning person that I am (sike!), I was SO excited about the early start.  Despite my body's futile protests against the ungodly hour, I showed up 20 minutes early, Starbucks in hand, ready to be oriented. <-- That's how you know I was excited.

It was like a mini-USC orientation all over again.  There was a clubs fair, inspiring yet stern messages from the Executive Chefs and the President and a presentation by career services.  The big message to me: Aleya, you are officially a student again. Since the opportunity to be a student in your area of passion doesn't come up very often, if ever, I plan to dig in.  I signed up for multiple clubs, met as many people as I could and even set-up my LCB page on the school's version of Facebook.  I am all in baby!

After the information download, it was time to take my official ID picture.  It wasn't exactly a glamor shot, but it will do.  I think it captures a bit of the confusion I was feeling in the moment:

From what I have seen, having one of these badges within LCB is like having the security clearance of a secret service agent in the White House.  You need it to go everywhere, including classes.

After I got my VIP all access pass, I paid $60 for my monthly parking pass (a bit steep, don't you think?).  Then, it was time for The Uniform (duh, duh, duh!).  Many of you who attended Catholic school or an urban (ghetto) school that was afraid of gang violence had to wear some type of uniform.  I have never worn a uniform in my life, so the whole concept irks me just a little.  I understand the professionalism, unity and LCBness it represents, but I already know it is not going to be my favorite part of culinary school.  I have no problem conforming to authority, in fact I want to bleed Le Cordon Bleu, but the stiletto-wearing Princess in me kinda threw a hissy fit and pouted in the corner.  I already gave up my acrylics for you people!  What else do you want? My soul!?! Note: The Businesswoman told the Princess to shut up, sit down and suck it up. The Chef just shook her head...


The chef's jacket could actually work.  I think I saw the whole military theme running through Dior's line a few years back and I can just keep that image in my head as I look at all five Le Cordon Bleu jackets starched and pressed in my closet.  The pants pass because they are just simply the most comfy things ever and make me feel like I am wearing pajamas.  Function got a little leg up over fashion in that battle.  The neckerchief and hat (not pictured) are bearable.  Actually, the neckerchief makes me feel kinda fancy.  However, the shoes...no.  Just no.  I can't handle them.  Besides the fact that all of the current students I have spoken with have said they are the most uncomfortable things ever, they are just plain horrid.  If I am going to wear uncomfortable shoes, they might as well be 4'' high and make my legs look good.  Needless to say, I will be purchasing some somewhat cuter options online and asking my Chef Instructor for approval so that I can ditch the standard issue duds.  Chefs have any recommendations?

If you had to pick, which one would you choose?
Possible Alternative Shoes: Bistro Crocs.  More comfy.  A bit more stylish.

All diva-liciousness aside, having my official uniform, class schedule and badge made my life change feel real.  My dreams are becoming my reality and I am loving every minute of it.  Being a member, albeit a fledgling one, of such an illustrious network such as Le Cordon Bleu is an honor.   God is so awesome!

Sidenote: I love that there is a 24 Hour Fitness on my campus, because some of my female peers have told me that weight gain is inevitable.  I refuse.  I didn't gain the freshman 15 at USC, I am not going to gain it now.  I started my workout plan today.  I will be making muffins, not a muffin top thank you very much.

Class starts in 2 days, 18 hours and 29ish minutes and I am even more excited than I was this morning.  I can't wait to get my knife set and books!  For the first 6 weeks or so, I will be learning the basics and trying not to chop my finger off with my new knives. My schedule includes Culinary Foundations I, College Success and Career Portfolio (think I got the college part down) and Food Safety and Sanitation.  Let the learning begin!

I would love to get your prayers for a successful first day!

*hugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment