Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Technique.


Last night, my sorority sister, Makayla, and I went to check out Technique, the student-run restaurant at Le Cordon Bleu.  I wanted to get an even better feel for the program and neither of us could say "no" to a 5 course meal for $15/person (awesome, right?). 

The food was amazing.  If you are near a Le Cordon Bleu, I would highly recommend that you check it out.  You will have to make reservations 1-2 weeks in advance, but it is definitely worth it.  FYI - For my ladies who love libations, the restaurant does not serve alcohol, so you may have to handle that after dinner. Visit http://techniquerestaurant.com/ for more info.

During our visit, the 3 appetizers I enjoyed (they were small, don't judge) were Shrimp Scampi Tartine, The Technique Salad and Crispy Mozzarella.  I oohed and aahed over a main course of Filet Mignon while my partner in crime feasted on Grilled Salmon.  The piéce de résistance was the Apple Pie á la mode dessert.  Honey, I ate mine and half of Makayla's!  In case you were wondering, she offered, I didn't steal it hehe. 

While dining, I sat facing into the open kitchen.  I could see the students working and I couldn't help but wonder, "Do I look like them? Do I fit in? Am I really chef material?"  As I tried to visualize commonalities around the formless chef's jackets and style-deficient student caps (the kitchen is obviously not where you show off your diva style points), I searched to find a mutual bond between myself and the other students.  When making large life changes, temporary lingering doubt seems inevitable and, in my case, I am constantly double-checking to make sure I still have all my marbles.

Taking a cursory glance, all of us were wildly different.  Le Cordon Bleu students range from 18 to 70 years old and come in all shapes, sizes and ethnicities.  It seems to be a place where everyone fits in because there is not a certain mold to conform to.  There were no True Religion Jeans to squeeze into (flashback) and no cosmetic products to pretend to love (thank God).  I was getting a bit discouraged because I felt like an outsider, until I looked into their eyes and saw pieces of myself.  I saw my soul mates striving for perfection with each dish and taking care to make sure that their precise execution lacked nothing.  I saw my future friends who would rather be in that kitchen than anywhere else in the world. I began to feel at home.

After forking my last bit of Makayla's pie, I felt reassured that I was taking a step in the right direction.  Note: when I have my own kitchen, the outfits will be much cuter.

Next stop, New Student Orientation!

No comments:

Post a Comment